They each have a story, a verse, sweet memories and obstacles that have been overcome. Love, loss, firsts, birthday parties, a Daddy in Iraq, a nanny, giggles, trauma, a home, an orphanage, a sister and a family. Our hope is that someday they'll see God's hand on their lives and His great heart for them. For Christmas this year,
life books were the main gift.
Each daughter's story has value, so this sweet girl got a life book too.
Hers is the hospital story, the first bath, a spaghetti face photo, a first birthday, and a Daddy who left to serve.
The night that we gave Sophia her book will always rank among my favorite Christmas memories. She saw the cover and beamed with appreciation. As she carefully turned each page, her smile widened. Family stories we shared and retold. Each picture was studied and each word memorized.
She now sleeps with her book. It is read at least once a day, and is looked through many more. Nobody comes to the house without reading it, and each person is told the exact extra details and comments shared with her in that first reading.
Best gift ever.
She glances at the photo, and the pilot light of memory flickers in her eyes.
She glances at the photo, and the pilot light of memory flickers in her eyes.
~Frank Deford




11 comments:
It's obvious that Claire was housed in an orphanage sponsored by HTS, or was with a very loving foster family, or else you would not have those valuable pictures of her in her earlier times. Our daughter was also in a HTS orphanage. She was in Hefei, the orphanage that was the first one sponsored by HTS. Her nanny took care of her for the first 17 months of her life. And we have a journal from her nanny with pictures and writing dating all the way back to when she was found at an estimated 4 days old.
When I was given her journal, I broke down in tears, and so did my husband. The director of the orphanage did not know how to handle our emotional states, and quickly tried to hand us another gift. But I KNEW how rare it would be to have received that for HER. While we waited, I prayed that my daughter would be loved and well taken care of...I thanked God on that day.
We were able to email her sponsor (HTS gave our email to him, and he wrote back). He had NO idea how much he was able to touch our family. The
I love your lifebooks, and that you added one for your older daughter too.
My husband made one for our daughter soon after adoption. She loves to read it, even now, at 7 years old.
I agree, the lifebooks could never be matched by any other gift. What a wonderful way to show your love!
I enjoyed every second of them showing their books to their their PaPaw and MaMaw.
What a wonderful gift. I made Harper a lifebook & she loves it!
I also included photos of her time in China at the orphanage & with her foster family.
I need to get working on Josie's life book. I have a handful of pictures from her past life in the orphanage. She never had the luxury of a foster family and spent the first 21 months of her life struggling with a major heart defect until her adoption and then her surgery 3 weeks after she came home. Your post reminds me that I need to make this a priority in 2012. Thank you for sharing.
beautiful,rebecca!
They are so beautiful. Definitely made with love!
beautiful!!! I still need to work on our books - I keep putting it off because of the emotions - sounds like a good adoptive mommies weekend away project!! we could all cry together!
SO SO precious!!! They are our little's favs too~ WP's is still to be made. Thanks for sharing and the nudge to get it done. Blessings and love!!! XOXO
Amazing! You all are absolutely amazing.
Where did you make your books at? I did one for Mya on Shutterfly, just not sure it's "the one" if you know what I mean! She certainly loves to read it though! Maybe while we are snowed in this winter I am work on making them or both girls!
I love your blog! Your girls are adorable and i can't wait to "meet" your newest addition from ET!
Blessings,
Sara
Your daughters life books are a treasrure to them.
I wonder, if you don't mind telling, the books look so lovely, and, I wonder where/how they were made?
Thanking you in advance!!
Post a Comment